Designed by the Hungarian 3H architecture, the nickname of Red Audi became shortly „Poppy” because of its vivid red colour.
- architects: Katalin CSILLAG, Zsolt GUNTHER - 3H Architects
- year of design/construction: 2003/2003
- photography: © Zsolt GUNTHER
- → see the building on the map "hungarian architecture"!
The multifunctional pavilion in the Győr Audi factory is a bold venture across boundaries. Intended for performances, presentations and celebrations, the building is lent an individual, expressionist-like sculpturality by the vibrant, vivid red of the blank walls, the network of sharply-cut, separating contours and the line of cut-out-like openings.
But the most powerful sculptural effect (inspired by the works of István Haász) comes from the double ramp up to the roof showing off the company’s latest models. The declaredly anti-functionalist exterior stands in contrast to the inside of the building in nearly every aspect, a single space offering total flexibility to meet the different functions (conferences, theatre, ballet etc).
The whole interior structure is only there to serve the movable partitions, the professional lighting system and the plumbing and ventilation systems. It is just a “chassis”, or a “monocoque” on to which the high— tech units, “sub assemblies”, may be fitted. (Next to "Poppy" there is another building renewed by 3H Architectrue: the Enlargement of the Office-Block of the Audi Factory.)
(following the architects' description)
Publications in English:
- Maria Thuroczy: Red Audi - in: architectuul.com, 2011.12.01.
- Balázs Turai: Audi Forum Multifunctional Hall - in: nextroom.at, 08.06.2007;
- Csillag Katalin: Red Poppy -Audi Forum multi-functional Hall, Győr - in: Csillag Katalin – Gunther Zsolt: AUDI – két épület /two buildings; kiadó: 3h építésziroda, 2004 32.-41. o.
- Haba Péter: Sculpture - Antisculpture; Multifunctional Pavilion in the Győr Audi Factory - in: Csillag Katalin – Gunther Zsolt: AUDI – két épület /two buildings; kiadó: 3h építésziroda, 2004 44.-48. o.
- Otto Kapfinger: AHM Forum, Mehrzwekchalle (german) - in: Neue Architektur in Burgenland und Westungarn, Verlag Anton Pustet, 2004.
- client: Audi Hungária
- scale: 400 m2
- see the building on the homepage of the architect (en)