Béla Bartók County Community Center is located in the historical downtown of Győr. Béla Bartók did his last concert here in 1940. The original community center was planned by Kálmán Lakatos and Kamilló Gallyas, by expanding and converting a two storey residential building in 1934-35. The building was already operating in a multifunctional way, in addition to its theater there were also exhibition and museum halls. Until the building of the National Theater of Győr (1978), the Kisfaludy Theater of Győr was working in this building. Later, they restored its original function and it works as a County Community Center.
- architects: Tamás CZIGÁNY, Györgyi TÓTH, Anikó PÁL, János SÁNDOR - Czita Építésziroda Ltd. , Plaza Műterem Ltd.
- year of design/construction: 2000/2000-2003
- photography: © Czita
- → see the building on the map "hungarian architecture"!
The building was renovated between 1983-87, however its functional problems could not be solved. The total reconstruction and expansion was between 2000-2003, which helped it to turn into a modern cultural center, that satisfies all needs at a high level.
The basic structure remained, however the circulation system and the quality of the spaces changed, generally the whole building was raised by 1 level. In order to better accomodate sudden peaks in visitor numbers an archway was created in the front of the main entrance, the size of the lobby was increased and visually connected to the foyer of the first level. If needed, the foyer can be connected with the exhibition hall which is suitable for up to 80 people.
The auditorium was highlighted by a 3 level tall English-red wall which is curved in two directions. It is the bay of the spectator gallery above and the premises of the light and sound technology. By the reformulation of the upper gallery they could increase the distance between and incline of of the ground floor chairlines, so now the capacity is 454 people. The back wing help the operation of the stage with artist and dancer dress rooms, warehouses in 6 levels with a separate actor entrance.
The old stage was replaced by a new one: with bigger dimensions, higher cord attic, more stagecraft levels and service spaces. The side stage (also serving as scenedock) has grown to the double of its original size and got a separate entrance from Árpád street.
The spaces of the diverse, possibly concurrent activities (theater, concerts, dance, club life, lectures, study groups, conferences) were differentiated. In order to provide uninterrupted programs 3 staircases and a separate entrance from the Árpád street were created.
The wing of Árpád street includes the service functions as toilets, cloakroom, scenedock, actors hall. Furthermore in the end of the building you can find the 90m dance halls on 2 floors, the library on the first floor and two craft rooms and a few offices on the second floor.
By the reconstruction of the building Győr has obtained a cultural institute that fits into its environment and is suitable of all modern demands. The architects respected the past of the building aiming to preserve anything worth saving, at the same time resolving problematic situations in their own iterpretation and substituting them with marked quality solutions and spaces.
translation: Anna ILLÉS
- client: Győr-Moson-Sopron County Municipality
- scale - original building: ~ 2350 m2; new building: ~3480 m2 (net)
- the building on the homepaga of the architect